This definition of Brand Strategy by CarlyStec sums it up nicely.
In short your Brand Strategy is what you plan to do with your Brand to grow and/or strengthen your business.
How to create a Brand Strategy
Step 1: What is your Brand? Ask yourself these questions to find your Brand
- What are your brand's likes and dislikes... clothes, vacations, hobbies, cares, home decor food, music, colors, seasons. What is authentically always true about your brand
- What can your followers expect your brand to be, stand or, sound like?
- What five words describe your brand? What 5 words will never describe your brand?
- What does your Brand do better, more uniquely & different from your competition: other brands in your industry?
- Does your current business mission statement match the answers above?
You may not be able to or need to fill out the entire Brand Identity Statement. Take time to revisit this every few months to make sure your Brand is communicating consistently and staying true to itself.
Step 2: Get feedback from followers and rewrite your Brand Identity
Email, tweet or message to your customers announcing your Brand Identity
- What do they love about your brand? What do they expect?
- "Customer service ", retweets and comment sections are especially helpful with this.
Step 3: Create A Brand Location Check List
Step 4: Using your Brand Location List, check how each interaction matches your Brand Identity
This is a great opportunity to create a new logo that works everywhere, identify photography, design elements or writing style that is inconsistent and clean up any communications that stray from what you are trying to achieve as a brand.
Step 5: Find your Target MarketNow that you know who your brand is, what your brand stands for and where your brand is located... Figure out who your brand should be communicating with. Who is your target market?
- What is the perfect customer for your brand?
- What problem does your product, Brand solve and who needs that solution?
- Who is actively seeking your Brand and loves your brand?
- Who else could become part of your target market that isn’t already?
Step 6: Create a list of Goals your Brand wants to achieve
Step 7: Create your Brand Strategy
- What is your Brand?
- Who is your Target Market?
- What does your Target Market expect from your Brand? What does your Brand promise?
- Where will your Brand be found?
- How will you communicate with your target market? (social media, voice)
- What will your Brand’s communications consistently say?
- How will your Brand uphold the promises it has made to its target market?
Having a strong Brand Strategy and clear Brand Plan will help you consistently surprise & delight your customers, making them not only loyal users, but also advocates and promoters of your Brand.
The mission of Small Business, Big Brand is to give small business owners easy to use brand & marketing techniques to strengthen & grow their business.